Here is the list of nootropic drugs and supplements that are able to improve cognitive functions:
- Cerebrolysin is a composition of neuropeptides and amino acids derived from cattle brain. It is one of the oldest nootropic drugs, used for variety of neurological disorders.
- Cortexin is a Russian substitute of Cerebrolysin. It has a different composition with more peptide and fewer amino acids. The indications for use are almost similar to Cerebrolysin.
- Phenylpiracetam, an active ingredient of Phenotropil, is a nootropic drug with pronounced stimulatory action. It is used to treat chronic fatigue, and recreationally by students to improve attention.
- Semax, a peptide nootropic drug, widely used recreationally as a cognitive enhancer, and in medical practice for stroke recovery. It is used in nasal spray form.
- Noopept is a dipeptide drug sold in Russia. It does improve memory and have anxiolytic and anti-hypoxic effects. The active metabolite of Noopept, cycloprolylglycine, is an endogenous neuropeptide.
- Cavinton forte is a trade name of Vinpocetine. Vinpocetine is derived from Vinca Minor plant. It does improve cerebral blood flow, thus having a mild effect on cognition.
- Adrafinil is a prodrug of Modafinil, a wakefulness-promoting agent. Modafinil is shown to improve concentration and is used to treat narcolepsy and work-shift disorder. Unlike Modafinil, Adrafinil is sold OTC.